Greetings from your Alumni Association team! As always, we're here to support you throughout your job search and beyond. This month's issue features lots of resources for our alumni and some fun stuff, too. We hope these resources guide you as we move out of spring and into the summer.
Also, we're running a raffle with this issue. Click to read more of any article by May 27, 2016, and you'll automatically be entered for a chance to win an Amazon HD 6 Fire Tablet*. Just click and read—and you're entered!
- In This Issue:
- A New Team Just For You
- UMA Fanshop - Show Your Spirit
- Extended Access to the Online Classroom
- Get Refreshed
- Personal Finance Tips for You
- Staff Corner: Alumni Specialist
- Alumni Spotlight
Wishing all of our alumni the very best!
Sincerely, Kerri M. UMA Alumni Association email@example.com
A New Team Just For You
Are you searching for a job, or hoping to progress within a career you've already started? Do you need help studying for a certification exam?
No matter what you're looking for, our Alumni Career Specialist Team is here for you. We offer support services to our alumni—no matter how long it's been since you graduated. We're always here to assist you in your job search and beyond.
Need to polish your resume and cover letter? We help with that.
Looking for support during your first few days on the job? We're here for you!
Want to brush up on your professional skills? We can direct you to the resources you need.
If you haven't spoken to UMA in a while, or even if you just talked to us last week, now is the perfect time to reach out to our Alumni Career Specialist Team. You can call us at 888-315-8211 or email us now at firstname.lastname@example.org
Personal Finance Tips For You
UMA offers resources and connections to assist you with creating a financial plan for paying back your student loans. Contact our team, the Office of Personal Finance and Alumni Relations (OPFAR), to take advantage of these resources today. In the meantime, here are their TOP 5 TIPS for financial success:
- Don't just pay your minimum each month. Paying a few dollars more than your minimum payment each month will save you money in the long run and help you pay off your loans sooner. It reduces the amount of time your loan is outstanding, which means you'll pay less interest.
- Have a budget. Creating and following a budget is a great way to stay on top of your financial obligations and save for your future. Get started now!
- Get help with your loan. Having problems making your monthly student loan payments? There are a variety of payment plans available based on your income. Contact us for more information. The sooner you get help, the sooner you can potentially be debt and stress free!
- Understand the Revised Pay As You Earn Repayment Plan. This plan may help lower your monthly student loan payments. Click here to learn more and apply.
- Call us. Your OPFAR team can help you throughout the entire time you have your loan. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your student loans, please give us a call at 888-205-2170 (Monday - Thursday: 9:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m., Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Saturday: 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.) or email us now.
UMA Fanshop - Show Your Spirit
Do you ever look at your regular old coffee cup and think, "I wish I could show my school spirit right now"?
Maybe you'd love a UMA fleece blanket for those especially cold nights, or how about a polo shirt emblazoned with the UMA logo for when you want to show UMA pride in professional settings?
Well, now you can purchase all of these items and more!
UMA is proud to offer students the UMA Fanshop, a one-stop online shop for all of your school swag. Whether you're looking for school supplies, apparel, gifts or just a way to block the sun, you can find it at the UMA Fanshop.
And right now, orders over $25 receive shipping at no cost. So go ahead—splurge on that UMA travel mug and more.
Extended Access to the Online Classroom
We have exciting news about UMA's online classroom: You now have access for up to five years after you graduate. Previously the limit was three years.
We believe this will help our graduates stay competitive and keep their skills sharp. You'll be able to access our Graduate Refresher series, ICD-10-CM and RHIT prep courses and other TAPS (Tools for Alumni Professional Success) resources.
So log on and tap into our alumni career and education support!
There's no time like the present to refresh your healthcare knowledge. We're thrilled to offer refresher and prep courses that help you sharpen existing skills and learn new ones.
- Graduate Refresher: Our multi-pronged professional refresher course revisits subjects like common workplace skills, positive workplace behaviors, interview preparation, employer expectations, on-the-job readiness and more. This course is designed for those looking to move into a new job.
- ICD-10-CM Prep: This course is an intensive introduction into ICD-1O coding. Learning ICD-10 is a good idea for MBC, MOBS and HIT students along with other healthcare professionals. You'll receive a certificate of completion once you finish. This course takes about 20 hours (may vary according to individual student), and our team will be happy to help you sign up.
- RHIT Prep: This prep course is specifically for Healthcare Information Technology graduates who are looking to take the Registered Health Information Technician certification exam. This course is designed to offer certification preparation and takes about 15-20 hours (may vary according to individual student). If this course applies to you, contact our alumni specialist team, and we'll be happy to help you sign up.
Featured Spotlight of the Month
I decided to attend UMA to better my career goals. For 35 years I worked as a certified nurse aide, 6 years as a secretary, 2 years as a house parent and several years as a tax accountant.
Now that my college studies are over, I sit back and think what and how I got started. Now that I have completed online college I graduated with a 3.4 average "B" I am truly happy and overwhelmed with success.
I truly thank my student adviser Mark Johnson and all of my class Instructors for being so patient and giving me all the support I needed to complete this goal. It truly wasn't easy for me, but I can now say I made it and I'm so very proud of myself for choosing the right decision to return back to college. Thank you UMA.
Share Your Story
It's your time to shine! Leave a review highlighting your experience at UMA, and you could be featured in our next alumni newsletter. Why did you choose UMA? What's it like to be a UMA student? What advice would you give to people who are considering UMA? The spotlight is on you!Share Your Story
Staff Corneer: Alumni Services
This month we're shining a spotlight on Kayla Kopeck, an Alumni Career Specialist at UMA. In addition to helping alumni find jobs that fit their goals, Kayla is one of the team captains for our 45 person team offering career guidance. She and her team work with alumni on career coaching, interview scheduling and preparation, resume and cover letter development—and sometimes simply emotional support.
"You just never know what's going on in someone's life," she says.
One of her favorite things to tell alumni is that UMA offers refresher courses for those who haven't worked in their field in awhile—or for those who just want to brush up. "We offer so many resources to our alumni to encourage success."
Kayla also enjoys working as an Alumni Career Specialist because she likes reconnecting with alumni who might not know about the services available to them. She loves encouraging alumni who graduated months or even years ago.
"It's not only getting them that job, it's re-igniting that spark that they had when they started school," she says.
In her spare time, Kayla puts on productions with her theater troupe. Their most recent production was The Little Mermaid.